Hands on time: 25 minutes
Total time: 1 hr 45 minutes
- 2 whole chickens (3 1/2 pounds each)
- 4 carrots, halved crosswise
- 1 large yellow onion, halved
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt (I use a little more than this of sea salt)
- 1 1/2 cups long-grain white rice
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 avocados
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 3 limes, halved
- Place the chickens, carrots, onion, and salt in a 12-quart pot. Add enough cold water (about 16 cups) to cover. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer gently, uncovered, for 1 hour. Skim off any foam that appears.
- Transfer the chickens to plates; let cool. Remove and discard the carrots and onion. Add the rice to the broth and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, shred the chicken meat, discarding the skin and bones. Add the meat and pepper to the broth and heat for 3 minutes.
- Scoop the avocados into individual bowls and ladle the soup over the top. Sprinkle with the cilantro and squeeze on the limes.
recipe adapted from Real Simple